Millions of Americans suffer car crash injuries in crashes every year. Thousands die. Some wrecks are unavoidable, but most crashes could be prevented. They are caused by someone’s careless acts.
Car Accident Settlements
Our attorneys strive to ensure our clients are fully compensated for their losses. We have recovered more than $1 billion on behalf of our clients, with 215 verdicts or car accident settlements of $1 million or more. Our results include:
- $33.2 million verdict Obtained on behalf of a young man who suffered severe injuries in a Lake County accident. It remains the largest jury verdict in Lake County history.
- $17.9 million verdict Awarded by a Cook County jury to a woman who was injured in a collision with a tractor-trailer. Shortly before the jury returned its verdict, the case settled for $14 million.
- $10.8 million partial settlement Obtained on behalf of a Lake County man who was permanently disabled after being struck by a car.
TALK TO AN EXPERIENCED ATTORNEY
To learn more about how we can help you, contact us today. Call or submit our online form. Our consultations are always free, and they carry no obligations.
Why hire an attorney?
Studies have shown that auto accident victims recover more in damages when represented by an attorney than when they attempt to deal with an auto insurance company on their own.
The reality is that an accident lawyer can provide a variety of services that are aimed at recovering the maximum amount for you and your family after a car accident. These services include:
- Thoroughly investigating your accident.
- Consulting with experts from a variety of fields, including accident reconstruction, mechanical engineering, medical care and life-care planning experts.
- Closely looking at all insurance policies involved in your case.
- Ensuring all documents are filed in a timely manner.
- Aggressively negotiating with the auto insurance company.
- Presenting a persuasive case on your behalf in court.
- Resolving any health care or other liens attached to your recovery in a manner that ensures you receive the amount you need to pay for all of your medical expenses and move on in life with financial security.
At Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard P.C., we provide free consultations. We do not charge for our legal services unless we obtain a recovery for you. Our firm has a record of success, including 208 cases that have resulted in awards of $1 million or more.
What Will An Attorney Do For Your Motor Vehicle Accident Claim?
At Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard P.C., we believe it is crucial to conduct an immediate, thorough investigation of a car wreck so as to ensure that no evidence is lost or destroyed. It is critical you contact a Chicago car accident attorney immediately about your car accident claim.
We can collect extensive evidence in your case, including:
- The police crash report
- Photos of the accident scene
- Photos of the damaged vehicles
- Eyewitness statements
- Information from the event data recorder (EDR, or “black box”)
- Cell phone records and other electronic evidence
- Manufacturer records or recall information
- Medical records and work records.
We can also consult with highly qualified experts who can help us to determine:
- Who caused the accident?
- Who should be held liable?
- How much you deserve to recover?
Our goal is to compile enough evidence to establish a solid car accident claim and make the best case possible for full and fair compensation. We aggressively negotiate with insurance companies and use a skilled approach to representing our clients in the courtroom.
As we pursue compensation for our crash clients, our attorneys can search through all possible options, including:
- The at-fault driver’s liability coverage Illinois law requires drivers to carry liability insurance that pays for bodily injury and property damage they cause others.
- Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage You are required by Illinois law to have this coverage. It covers bodily injury to you, your passengers, members of your household or others authorized to drive your car if the other driver lacks liability coverage
- Underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage If you purchase UIM insurance above that of the at-fault driver, you may be entitled to compensation from your own UIM policy. This coverage can pay for bodily injury damages. It covers the difference between your UIM limits and the at-fault driver’s coverage.
- Other insurance coverage We can review your insurance policy to determine if other types of coverage are available in your case, including medical payments, collision and comprehensive coverage.
As we stress to each of our clients: Do not speak with the insurance company unless you have first talked with an attorney. You do not want to say or sign anything that will cost you the chance to obtain a just recovery for your losses after a car crash.
At Salvi, Schostok & Pritchard P.C., we will conduct a comprehensive review of your case to determine the full extent of your losses and the proper value of your motor vehicle accident claim. We can then negotiate directly with the insurance company or go to court on your behalf to obtain a car accident settlement.
We can also carefully resolve any healthcare, workers’ compensation or other liens that may be attached to your recovery after an auto accident.
Car Accident FAQs
What Can I Recover After a Car Accident in Illinois?
A car accident can result in heavy financial losses. According to Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT), the average costs of crashes during one recent year were:
- Fatal crashes – $1,479,670
- “A” injury crashes — $72,580
- Property damage crashes – $9,280.
(An “A” injury crash is one that results in car crash injuries that prevent a victim from walking, driving or “normally continuing the activities he/she was capable of performing before the injury occurred.”)
The amount that can be recovered in a car accident lawsuit in Chicago or elsewhere in Illinois will depend on the case’s unique facts and legal issues, including the availability of insurance coverage. However, the damages typically sought in a car accident lawsuit are:
If you lost a loved one in a car accident, you may be able to seek coverage of all medical costs as well as:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Lost financial support
- Loss of consortium or loss of companionship.
If your own negligence partially contributed to an auto accident, you may still be able to recover damages. Your recovery would be reduced according to your percentage of fault. If you were 51 percent or more at fault, you would be barred from recovering anything unless the other party was engaged in reckless conduct such as drunk driving.
Car Accident Do’s and Don’ts from our Lawyers
Key steps to take and mistakes to avoid if you have been in a crash in Chicago or elsewhere in Illinois.
Read Our Guide – Six Key Steps After a Car Accident
Following up the Do’s and Don’ts of car accidents is this downloadable pdf on the 6 key steps to take after a car accident. If you have been in a car wreck before then you know how stressful and chaotic it can be. Follow these steps to insure you are properly covered after you have been in an accident.
Illinois Motor Vehicle Accident Facts
You are not alone when it comes to getting into a car accident. Many others face the same challenges as you after a crash.
The Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) reports that 296,049 auto accidents occurred in our state in one recent year, or a rate of 811 crashes per day. Those crashes caused:
- 61,084 injuries
- 845 deaths.
The following car accident facts break it down by county. The majority of those crashes – 69 percent – occurred in Cook County and its five bordering counties. As these stats show, driving can be especially dangerous in Chicago and surrounding areas, which may be due in part to the high volume of traffic, heavy road construction and large number of pedestrians and bicyclists who share the road with vehicles in our region:
The key is to take charge after an auto accident. You must act right away to protect your legal rights and increase your chances of obtaining a full recovery for the physical, mental and financial harm you have suffered. Like many others who have been impacted by a crash, you can move on in life with a sense of security.
Types of Accidents in Chicago and Illinois
The types of car accidents that we most commonly encounter when working with injured victims and their families in Chicago and elsewhere in Illinois include: